Welcome to the Omega Sports Podcast, hosted by Doug “the shoe guy.”
In our second episode, Doug chats with Johnny “New Balance” about the New Balance 860v10. We, also, learn a bit about the upcoming release, 1080v10.
New Balance has been around since 1906, starting off as the “New Balance Arch Company.” The concept was inspired by the chicken’s three clawed foot, three support points of the insole. William J. Riley, New Balance’s founder would keep chicken feet on his desk to demonstrate to potential customers.
The 860v10 is “Engineered to Withstand the Drive.”
This is the 10th version of this shoe, produced starting in 2010. It is a stability shoe, meaning it is a supportive shoe. It still contains a medial post (firmer density of foam placed on the arch side of the midsole to help control the rate of overpronation. This helps with flatter feet or feet that roll inward) with a great underfoot feel.
The five key improvements from it’s predecessor:
- Truefuse midsole is an interface of two foams with a softer top layer. Provides a close to foot feel with a nice base of support.
- Medial post is separately molded from the rest of the insole to help build consistency from the rest of the shoe and provides more support. Plus more natural stability. Modifications have also been created for a smoother transition as you hit the heel and move to the forefoot.
- In the outsole, the T-Beam has been removed for more underfoot feel with more ground contact.
- More cushioning to help really mold the foot for a plush feeling.
- Ultraheel helps wrap the foot to prevent shoe slippage.
A few other things to note:
- The 860v10 is produced in multiple sizes/widths/colors.
- New colors are coming in Spring 2020.
- Great for consumers who want a dependeable, supportive shoe without sacrificing cushioning.
This shoe is only available in-stores!
The 1080v10 is New Balance’s high end neutral training shoe. Competes with the Asics Gel-Nimbus 22 and Brooks Glycerin available later this month.
The FreshFoam midsole has been upgraded to a plush and lighter material for underfoot and step-in feel is amazing. The upper will have a hypoknit upper that molds around the foot. And a new ultra heel construction. Aesthetically, it is probably the best one coming out of New Balance.